Friday, May 20, 2011

Working the Register for $8.00 an Hour Does Suck

Today I bought some fresh salsa at a local grocer. I stood in line about five minutes while, as per federal law, the woman in line directly in front of me (and I don't mean to be a sexist, but this person is always a woman) made a lengthy ordeal out of paying for her damned vegetables and bread. No matter, I'm never in a hurry; this situation is exactly why God gave us the iPhone.

When finally it was my turn, the girl at the counter zapped the salsa, looked up at me and said, with all the animated excitement of a person attending her mother's funeral, "Do you have a bonus card?"

"Hello to you too!" spoke Mash, pleasantly, trying as always to make the other person's day a tiny bit more bearable.

You know that sound young women make to express that nothing in the world has ever been more annoying than what you just said? It's kind of a very short sigh blended with a grunt. You know the sound I'm talking about, you've heard it a hundred times before.

And as I left the store with my salsa, I reminded myself that some people just can't be helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment